Pretty good pic, right? I’m so excited to share another recipe, plant-based sushi! It’s very simple to make, it just takes some practice. Full disclosure, I made some yesterday and it fell apart so much that I had to make it more into a sushi bowl then rolls. Not great. But tonight I found the trick:
Roll it tight, then allow to sit and soften a bit before cutting with a verrrrry sharp knife!
I didn’t use a sushi mat or anything, it was very simple! Feel free to use whatever ingredients you want, recipe is below!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes about 24 pieces
- 3 sheets of Nori (roasted seaweed sheets)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 avocado
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- Soy sauce/tamari/Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- Sesame seeds (optional, to top)
- Begin to cook the rice as directed on the package
- While that’s cooking, cut the produce in long, thin strips
- Once the rice is done, let cool a bit then assemble ingredients to wrap
- To wrap, place smooth side of nori facing you, then using a spoon spread a thin layer of brown rice across the surface. Place desired veggies on the bottom fourth closest to you, then using a bit of water wet the bottom and top parts. Rolling very tightly, roll it up (I recommend on a cutting board), then cut into 8 pieces using a very sharp knife after letting sit for a bit to moisten.
- Repeat with the other 2 sheets, place in a bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds and soy sauce, and enjoy!